If you’re looking for a delicious and unique way to prepare pizza, then smoking it in an electric smoker is the perfect option! This process infuses the pizza with a smoky flavor that is sure to please your taste buds. In this article, we will discuss the steps involved in smoking pizza with an electric smoker. We’ll also provide some tips on how to make the perfect smoked pizza. Let’s get started!
The Process of Smoking Pizza in an Electric Smoker
The good news is that smoking pizza in an electric smoker is a relatively easy process.
However, there are a few things that you’ll need to do in order to ensure that your pizza turns out perfectly.
First, you’ll need to preheat your smoker to the appropriate temperature. For this, we recommend using a temperature between 200 and 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Once your smoker is preheated, it’s time to prepare your pizza dough.
If you’re using store-bought pizza dough, simply follow the instructions on the package. However, if you’re making your own pizza dough, we recommend using a recipe that contains bread flour. This type of flour will give your pizza dough the perfect amount of structure and flavor.
Once your pizza dough is prepared, it’s time to shape it into a 12-inch circle.
Next, you’ll need to place your pizza dough on a greased baking sheet. Then, spread your favorite pizza sauce over the top of the dough. Be sure to leave a ½-inch border around the edge of the pizza. Now it’s time to add your favorite toppings!
My favorite topping for a smoked pizza is pepperoni, but feel free to get creative and add whatever toppings you like. (Hint: tuna tastes amazing!)
Once you’ve added all of your desired toppings, it’s time to transfer your pizza to the smoker.
Place your pizza on the top rack of your smoker and smoke it for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and cooked through. Once your pizza is cooked, remove it from the smoker and enjoy!
Smoked Pizza Tips
Now that you know how to smoke pizza in an electric smoker, here are a few tips to help you make the perfect smoked pizza:
- Use high-quality ingredients. This will ensure that your pizza tastes its best.
- Preheat your smoker to the correct temperature. This will help to ensure that your pizza cooks evenly.
- It goes without saying that to get the very best results you need to keep an eye on your pizza while it’s cooking. This will help you to avoid overcooking or undercooking your pizza.
- Let your pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. This will help to prevent the cheese from sliding off of the pizza and, more importantly, you will prevent any burns from molten cheese!
Recommended Equipment and Materials
The simplest advice is to use the best smoker you can afford and the highest quality ingredients, but if you are on a budget, even a smoker that costs less than $200 can do a really good job. Here’s a quick list of the essential components of a great-tasting smoked pizza.
– Electric smoker: You’re not going to get very far without this. Try and get one that is large enough to hold a 12″ base.
– Pizza dough: You can use store-bought or homemade pizza dough. We recommend using a recipe that contains bread flour.
– Pizza sauce: Use your favorite pizza sauce.
– Pizza toppings: I prefer meat toppings, but fish such as tuna and salmon also work very well in a smoker. Veggies are, of course, perfect for non-meat eaters, and peppers and onions come out best (in my opinion)
– Baking sheet: This will be used for shaping and transferring your pizza dough to the smoker. Make sure it’s high quality and thick enough to lift a pizza without bending.
– Grease: This will be used for greasing your baking sheet.
The best kind of wood to use for smoking pizza is hickory. Hickory has a strong, distinct flavor that pairs well with pizza. However, other woods such as mesquite or apple can also be used.
Starting the Fire
When starting the fire, use about two to three handfuls of wood chips. Soak the wood chips in water for 30 minutes before adding them to the smoker. This will help to create more smoke.
Adding Wood Chips
You’ll need to add more wood chips every 30 minutes or so in order to maintain a consistent level of smoke. We recommend using about one handful of wood chips for every 30 minutes of smoking time.
Maintaining the Temperature
It’s important to maintain a consistent temperature while smoking pizza. As previously stated, we recommend using a temperature between 200 and 225 degrees Fahrenheit but lower temps will work although this will increase the cooking time.
Checking the Pizza
You’ll need to check on your pizza periodically to ensure that it’s cooking evenly. To do this, simply insert a toothpick or fork into the center of the pizza. If the toothpick or fork comes out clean, your pizza is done. If not, continue cooking until the pizza is cooked through.
Serving the Pizza
Once your pizza is cooked, remove it from the smoker and let it cool for a few minutes. This will help to prevent the cheese from sliding off of the pizza. Once it’s cooled, slice and serve your pizza! Enjoy!
Simple Smoked Pizza Recipe
Here’s a great tasting, but simple to make pizza recipe that is perfect for cooking in your electric smoker.
– ½ pound pizza dough
– ¼ cup pizza sauce
– ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
– Your favorite toppings
Prepare your smoker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat the smoker to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Shape your pizza dough into a 12-inch circle on a greased baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce over the top of the dough, leaving a ½-inch border around the edge. Add the shredded mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings.
Place the baking sheet on the top rack of the smoker and smoke for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and cooked through. Once your pizza is cooked, remove it from the smoker and enjoy!
Now that you know how to smoke pizza in an electric smoker, you can enjoy this delicious dish any time! Just remember to use high-quality ingredients, preheat your smoker, and keep an eye on your pizza while it’s cooking. Let your pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!